Author Topic: Why sly is better  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Why sly is better
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »
For the fence-sitters and new sly guys who haven't quite come to terms with things yet.  Here are a couple of examples of why sly is better.

This first one isn't the best picture in the world, but check out the receded hairline and widow's peak   :(  :

And here's one of those infamous shots of the top of a thinning dome -- the photo that nearly causes a heart attack the first time you see it because you didn't realize you were that bald:

Why go around looking like that when you can have a slick, shiny dome like this?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:45:51 PM by RazorX »

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Why sly is better
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
Well RazorX, it's unfortunate that the rest of the world thinks differently from this web-site.
I remember back when I was 14 I had this haircut where the barber did not leave me much hair
at the front.  She just used clippers to cut it short so I wasn't left with anything to comb at the front.
When I arrived home the first think my mother told me was oh my God you look horrible. 
So, when I started noticing that I was losing hair at age 19 all I could remember were those comments.
Also, for that same haircut, after my hair grew longer, a cousin of mine did not hesitate to say man you looked
awful.   So things like that made me think shaving my head will only make it worse.  (clarrification I didn't have hairloss at 14)
I am still surprised by the way baldness is perceived here compared to the rest of the world.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:01:52 AM »
I think this proves to a certain extent that a short haircut, which shows the scalp through the hair looks worse to other people than going the whole way and shaving it smooth. 8)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:04:46 AM »
well bald math,  everyone here ( most of us) are on the same page ya know.   The outside world can be a cruel cruel world.   It can hit as close as home for some of us.  I really didnt have the problem.  I had a few aunts, uncles and cousins who made comments about me shaving my head.  The biggest mistake is when one shows that the comments bothered them.  I wouldnt get the casual "why did you shave your head" I would get the snearing of the nose, freaky look "WHY DID YOU SHAVE YOUR HEAD?"  Like it was just a sin ya know.  I would just respond back with ....Because I can!  Wouldnt hear much more out of them.  I still have a few aunts who do not like it, but their comments only go as far as this now..  " well I still dont like the shaved head, but its his head not mine".   Most of the time they will be in the other room where I can hear them say it and sometimes I will holler out a "Thank You aunt Cheryl"  and  Iwill get a "Your Welcome"  LOL

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:06:55 AM »
I think this proves to a certain extent that a short haircut, which shows the scalp through the hair looks worse to other people than going the whole way and shaving it smooth. 8)

I hope I do not offend anyone here when i comment on what Rob posted.  I have seen a couple of guys here in town that shave their heads down to a stubble.  It looks as though they may have had wirey hair at one time but they have like patches gone.  To me it looks like they have the mange or something.  Kinda gross looking.  To me, if you have that type of hair cut, by all means bro...shave it off. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »
Another point RazorX's pictures dramatically illustrate is that many of us, including myself, wait too long, hestitate and fail to avoid the "bad grass" look by not doing it much earlier rather than later.  It's really the only regret I can think of regarding shaving my head.  I was several years too late.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:11:37 AM »

I hope I do not offend anyone here when i comment on what Rob posted.  I have seen a couple of guys here in town that shave their heads down to a stubble.  It looks as though they may have had wirey hair at one time but they have like patches gone.  To me it looks like they have the mange or something.  Kinda gross looking.  To me, if you have that type of hair cut, by all means bro...shave it off. 

That's exactly what i meant, Timm, and I too meant no offence to anybody, but sometimes less is more,when it comes to hair, if you know what i mean!  Shaving it all off looks like you have really thought about having a certain type of hairstyle rather than just gone for the 'easy option' 8)

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »
Timm, I understand about the comments from your Aunts.  I have a cousin ( like a sister) who tells me constantly that I look like a chemo patient.  It was taken lightly at first but it got old mighty quick.  My response now is " Yeh, but I didn't escape from a fat farm.  Things then quieten down for a while.  As you can see--I have thin skin.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »
Another point RazorX's pictures dramatically illustrate is that many of us, including myself, wait too long, hestitate and fail to avoid the "bad grass" look by not doing it much earlier rather than later.  It's really the only regret I can think of regarding shaving my head.  I was several years too late.

Bingo.  And the thing is, at the time I honestly didn't think it was as bad as it was.   Goes to show how what you see in the mirror can be deceiving.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Timm, I understand about the comments from your Aunts.  I have a cousin ( like a sister) who tells me constantly that I look like a chemo patient.  It was taken lightly at first but it got old mighty quick.  My response now is " Yeh, but I didn't escape from a fat farm.  Things then quieten down for a while.  As you can see--I have thin skin.

And nobody ever came through chemo with a mustache like yours.  You might want to point that out to the geniuses next time.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
Razor, you look great.
It also looks like you've gotten much fitter since shaving your head.  I also have noticed that I work out more since having the slick look - fit body and the sly look is a good match.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »
Razor, you look great.
It also looks like you've gotten much fitter since shaving your head.  I also have noticed that I work out more since having the slick look - fit body and the sly look is a good match.

Thanks.  It sort of goes along with what I posted earlier -- get rid of the hair and then work on the things you can control.   Bald and flabby wasn't a good look for me. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

Again, sometimes what we see in the mirror isn't an accurate depiction of what other people see.  I really had no idea that my hair looked as thin as it did -- I knew it looked bad under bright lights, but I didn't have any slick spots.  When I touched the top of my head, I felt hair and even though I knew it was thinning, it seemed like there was still a decent amount left, believe it or not.

As for the "mangy" look, I've seen guys that are greying in patches and have buzzcuts.  They look OK from short distances, but if you're further away, you can see the dark patches of hair but not the grey patches.  Looks very odd but I'm sure they have no idea.  Likewise, have you ever seen an MPB guy with grey hair that is buzzed really close?  It's hard to tell from a distance whether they are shaved or not.  They probably don't realize how "invisible" their stubble really is.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
You know this is crazy talk these days...

but bro's....

a slick bald head and what it can do for you and your confidence is what THIS place is about...

a totally hairfree head is a better look than a buzzed mpb cut on balding dudes....

oh, about 99.5% of the time!

That's just this Bald Because it's Cool (BBC) dude's opinion! ;)

Now feed me to the lions!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »

Bingo.  And the thing is, at the time I honestly didn't think it was as bad as it was.   Goes to show how what you see in the mirror can be deceiving.

But I guess we do have to add that a couch doctor, i.e., the Freud thing, would have a hay day w/ your choice of dogs w/ their thick fur, etc.  Just pulling your leg, since there's no hair left to hang on to! :*)) :*)) :*))

Enter your email address: