Author Topic: My First Post  (Read 4279 times)

Offline StuartG2198

• Learning the way of Sly
My First Post
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Hi All

So I've just discovered this forum and have been reading some of the stories on here to try and help me, I'm 22 years old, and  am rapidly losing my hair it is currently nearly crowned, if you look at me from the front it doesn't look so bad but from behind and from the side it ages me terribly, recently more and more people are have been making jokes calling me old man, the usual stuff and the whole issue is really getting me down (even though it started to go at 17).
I keep saying I'm going to bite the bullet and shave it but just haven't had the courage to do it, my main issue is my parents particularly my mother who just do not want me to do it and are constantly telling me how stupid I'll look several of my friends agree, what do I do??????

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
Re: My First Post
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
I say to heck with what others say and do what will make you happy. If your not happy with hair then it is time to get rid of it and make yourself look younger and more mature. So go for the sly look O0 Don't let anyone else make the decision for you make it yourself

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
Welcome mate,

Shaving definitely makes people look younger.

I'm sure your friends and family will come around if its what you want to do!

Good luck and let us know!
Lynchy

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
Hi Stuart, welcome to the bald brotherhood. You are already an adult and should decide for yourself. It would help if you could post your pic but then again, most of us here will tell you to shave it off since you have felt the urge already. Best regards.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Welcome, Stuart! If you think shaving it all the way may be too drastic, you could always do a buzzcut. Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline lsflipper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
It may take some time, but people usually come around and get used to your new look. We have a friend that has been bald ever since we met him and my wife saw a picture of him when he had hair and she said that he looked weird with hair. Everyone will come around and eventually won't even think about it anymore. Just give it the 30 day rule.
Larry the bald guy

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
Welcome to the club, Stuart.
Ultimately, it's your decision and yours alone. And you're the only one who has to be happy with it. Personally, though, I say go for it. If you don't like it, your hair will always grow back.
Hair is over rated.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
G'Day Stuart mate,

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys  O0

Do what YOU want to do Stuart, not what your mum or friends what you to do. Your the person living with you 24/7. If you not happy
then do something about it.

You can start with a buzz cut like SlySirHarry mention or you can bite the bullet and go sly.

As others has said, your parents and friends will get used to your new Sly look and in no time they won't even bat an eyelid.

O0

Andrei

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
Welcome Stuart!
I think you already figured out the solution (shaving your head), the only thing that's left is to actually do it.
I understand that your parents might not like the idea. It's great to listen to their advice, especially since they have more life experience than you, but you should decide what haircut you get.
You're 22, it's perfect to get advices from them, but it would be strange to let them decide for you.
So, use the weekend to try out a new look. Good luck!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 03:37:13 AM »
If you are balding your hair will look better shorter. Just cut it shorter, then buzz it down grade by grade over a period of time to allow you and others the chance to get used to it.

Consider what will make you feel more confident and that, not what your parents say, should be the thing that guides you most.

At the end of the day if people are making jokes, comments when you shave it will be no worse. At least you'll have the comeback that you are taking control and that's what being sly is vs just being bald.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 04:11:22 AM »
Isflipper said it for me.  Welcome, Stuart.

You've made the first step. Started reading SBG.  stick around and keep reading.

Completely shaved bald looks much better than thinning hair. For young guys it adds some maturity. Not OLD MAN maturity, but 'this guy knows his stuff and is grown up'. 

Any guy willing to shave his head has confidence and it shows.

Welcome. I look forward to seeing your bald head profile picture here shortly.

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:39:54 AM »
I keep saying I'm going to bite the bullet and shave it but just haven't had the courage to do it, my main issue is my parents particularly my mother who just do not want me to do it and are constantly telling me how stupid I'll look

sounds like me - when I told my mother about the idea of shaving my hair off she just said that I look good the way I am (then with hair) and that there's no necessity to shaving my head - all I wanted to hear was "you'll also be handsome with a shaved head" but she couldn't say it

so two weeks ago I shaved my head - I didn't tell my mother for about a week - the good thing is I'm studying in a different part to where I come from. I just wanted to see how I feel about the shaved head and didn't want to get influenced by my mothers opinion, because for myself I felt for a long time that it would be the right decision - and not doing it for a long time and struggling with my looks - my confidence was at an all time low - I got depressed

so I shaved my head, wasn't happy at first, the second day I really liked it and my confidence was back up - I was sure that I'll stick to the 30 days rule - most of my friends also had to get used to my new look - only a few said right away that they think it looks good - and now three days ago, my mother finally saw me, and although it was a schock for her she thinks that it suits me - but she was also honest enough to say that she has to get used to it - like most of my family - just think about it, your family knows you with hair as long as you can think back, and suddenly you shave your head - that is a big difference

if you have the option shave your head without showing your family at first and give yourself time to get a personal opinion - that way it won't make you that insecure if somebody has a different opinion - I found out that it can be quite stressing when suddenly everyone around you has an urge to tell you what they think about your looks - although nobody said that it looks awful it was quite stressing for me when people said things like "odd, unfamiliar" or "do you really want to keep it that way?" - my mother strangely has a problem with looking at the back of my head - to her it feels really strange and unfamiliar - but I can understand her - but it was important for me to tell her how hurting some of her statements can be - I also had to tell this to a friend of mine - that way I found out that it wasn't their purpose to hurt me

so maybe try to communicate your feelings and that you think it would be a good thing for your confidence if you would shave your head - be prepared that not everyone else will like it at first - but I think thats normal

I think most of the time we get too insecure when we think about other peoples opinions - it is really hard no to - but in the end its your life and you are the one who is not feeling well at the moment so its your responsibility to change that - maybe you can "teach" your relatives and friends along the way to have more compassion and empathy  :)

but I'm sure you'll find the right decision! keep us updatet and let us know if you need any help!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:43:09 AM by MarkusToe »

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53:48 AM »
Welcome Stuart.

Most people who are close to you will discourage you - they don't want to lose the Stuart they know and are comfortable with. Although well intentioned, they are making it more about them and less about you.

This board is (no surprise) heavily biased towards eliminating hair loss issues, either by buzzing or shaving. So it's to be expected you'll read a lot of encouraging personal accounts. But if you read them carefully you will soon discover many recurring themes ... along the lines of "it makes me look younger" (either by the person's assessment or by others around them), there is a surge of self-confidence (that's one of my favorites), and "I should have done this sooner."

I think the odds are all in your favor. Depending on your inner self you may want to ease into it by gradually going shorter, or make a bold statement and shave it all.

Just doing something will tip the scales for you because you are taking control.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
Welcome Stuart  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline StuartG2198

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome I really appreciate it, I'll try and post a picture of myself at some point today to show you how things look currently

Stu