Author Topic: Thoughts anyone?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Thoughts anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
You have made a wise decision DC.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline KG

• Extraordinary Sly Guy
  • Sly
  • Sly since 7/27/2012
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
We're with you DC.
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be sly.

Offline LatinCoffee

• Como estas?
  • Sly
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Best wishes and prayers for your wife but she needs to move forward. Like others have said---keep it sly...it's not about you though we know you love her.

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »
When I was a youngster, the Interstate highways had not yet been built in our area, and most of the roads were narrow, winding, 2 lane "goat trails" that went through small towns, over scenic bridges, and over spectacular (if frightening to some) mountain passes.  Then the freeways were built.  Although they were bland and ugly, they were safer, easier, and shorter, and most people (including my parents) chose to drive on them exclusively, even though many of the old roads still existed.  Fast-forward to my college years when I got a car, and I started to revisit some of those old routes.  At first they brought back a lot of fond childhood memories.  What I found though, was that as I drove the roads more, those memories began to fade, and the roads and scenery only reminded me of current times.  In the same manner I suspect that your wife, upon first seeing you shaved, was reminded of her terrible ordeals with chemotherapy, and was understandably upset.  However, maybe (I am not certain, of course) with time, as she sees your shaven head more often, these horrible memories will begin to fade, and eventually bother her no more.  There also are therapists who can help desensitize a person from these kinds of negative associations.  Just something to think about, and I truly hope that the Mrs. enjoys good health from now on.

iambaldo

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
What I find interesting about this topic is that recently me and my wife were walking through a walmart parking lot when we encountered a family walking with their child who was obviously undergoing some form of cancer treatment. The dad had a long mane, and I remember telling my wife that god forbid it were my child, I would shave my head, and eyebrows  down to the skin just to make my child feel they are not alone in the treatment. I remmber when my mom had the treatment, she bought herself high dollar wigs and that made her feel better. The point of my reply is that cancer is a horrible thing on its own, yet our society...

iambaldo

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
 society...puts so much emphasis on hair that it becomes the major focus of the treatment. The major focus should be getting better and being healthy once again. Im sure your wife will understand once she realizes that you have and will support her. Good luck on your decision.

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
Good decision! Don't let other people use their illness as way to coerce you.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
I support you all the way but wonder if your wife wouldn't be interested in talking to an objective 3rd party (counselor) with or without you.  It's your private business but I don't think you mentioned whether you guys discussed the counselor idea and she dismissed it or if you just think it doesn't warrant a counselor.

Marriages are so complicated; any relationships between 2 people are complex but marriage adds another level on top (and I'll bet children are even more complex!).  I am not trying to project my experience onto you, but there were a handful of situations I had w/ my ex-husband that were SO much more serious to me than they were to him, and he just couldn't understand it without a third party to be objective and explain.

I've no idea what your relationship is like with your wife but there may be incomprehensible emotions she's carrying around that she doesn't know how to express to you.  Speaking purely from MY experience, not yours.

And again, support you 100%, just trying to offer a differing opinion in case it's useful.  If it's not, ignore it and love the sly! :)