Author Topic: back and forth  (Read 4053 times)

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
back and forth
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
hey guys.  let me start by saying i've been reading the board for a while but never quite felt the need to post until now, and before i go on, let me also say i think it's an awesome thing you guys have going here.

so i'm 26, and i've always had very high temples, and i've kept my hair short most of my adult life just because i didn't like dealing with having to put crap in my hair every day.  i've grown it out a couple of times with pretty disastrous results, but that's neither here nor there.

anyway, one day recently at work i caught myself reflected in the glass and, i don't know, it just seemed like it was...worse than i'd ever noticed before.  like, i was walking, and it made me stop dead.  so naturally it got me thinking...in any event, i have a birthmark near the front of my head, and my hairline is RIGHT on its leading edge, and i've always told myself that as soon as it recedes past that line, i was shaving for good.

but now i'm thinking maybe i should just go all the way now.  i stood in front of the shaving section at the drug store for 5 minutes today and ended up walking away with nothing, but i can't stop thinking about it...

i'm gonna stop rambling now.  any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.  thanks! :)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: back and forth
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
If you're already keeping it short, you have nothing to lose. Go for it, and in the unlikely event that you're not thrilled, it'll grow back to "short" before you know it. There's no risk or down-side.

Offline Jim80

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
like my 2yr old daughter tells me all the time, "try it you'll like it"

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:06:26 AM »
i have a birthmark near the front of my head, and my hairline is RIGHT on its leading edge, and i've always told myself that as soon as it recedes past that line, i was shaving for good.

i stood in front of the shaving section at the drug store for 5 minutes today and ended up walking away with nothing, but i can't stop thinking about it...

Welcome you've found the right place.  And, read your question--it has your answer.  See you on the Sly Side Soon. 8)

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »
If you're seriously thinking about it, then it's time.   ;)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
Welcome you've found the right place.  And, read your question--it has your answer.  See you on the Sly Side Soon. 8)

yeeeeeeeeeeah that's a pretty good point.  haha

my other big concern, because i've done it before but never kept it longer than 2-3 days, is not cutting myself up, and avoiding bumps and the blotchy red grossness at the back of the neck...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
my other big concern, because i've done it before but never kept it longer than 2-3 days, is not cutting myself up, and avoiding bumps and the blotchy red grossness at the back of the neck...

Take your time, take a hot shower, sharp new blade, it will get faster but just take your time.  Clean, clean up w/ an astrigent, use some anti-acne preparation w/ 10% benzoyl peroxide in lotion form, and some hydrocortizone also in lotion form then some non-oily after shave balm, my personal favorite, Nivea Extreme. Then keep it clean washing at least twice a day with a mild antibacterial soap such as Cuticura.    So it can be done--no more excuses, you want to be sly, it's time. 

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
Welcome, and no sense fretting over 1/4 or 1/8 inch of hair if that's all that's keeping you on the fence...nowhere to go but slick now. You can always go back. Give it a shot!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
Remember it groes back if you do not like it  - - -Give it a chance  - -A"SLICK MELON" is great

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
And for what it's worth, a long weekend is the ideal time to give yourself a few days to get used to a new look.  It was Thanksgiving weekend when I shaved my head and finally made the commitment to keep it that way.

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »
And for what it's worth, a long weekend is the ideal time to give yourself a few days to get used to a new look.  It was Thanksgiving weekend when I shaved my head and finally made the commitment to keep it that way.

that would be an excellent idea if i HAD a long weekend.  i'm actually at work right now...i work at a TV station, i produce the 11:00 news, and what do you think is the ONLY show we're airing today?

yeah, it's the 11:00.  i win!

=D

so let me ask this...i've used headblade before, i like it in theory, but it's a little hard to execute properly when you're not used to it, and like i said, i'm really not trying to rip my skin apart...that being said, what's the best way to go as far as a razor?  and shaving with/against the grain, thoughts on that?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
There a whole lot of the SBG's who swear by the HB, but I think even they will admit it has a learning curve.  Personally, I tried it and for me it just doesn't provide what I and my dome need.  I used a Fusion until the Personna M5 came out and had really good service from the tool--few if any serious nicks.  I'll probably have to return to it now that the M5  is bankrupt >:(.  When I was in your situation, I buzzed it down as far as I could with a clipper, then used my Fusion.  Get it good and soaked in the shower, get some Headslick if it's available in your area.  Then as I said earlier take your time, you get better during the 30 day trial, but take your time, enjoy the "Zen" of cleaning the scraps of your hair off.  And if you get a small nick use the stiptic pencil.  See you on the Sly Side, there's no 11 o'clock news pushing you on the morning after is there? 

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:51 PM »
There a whole lot of the SBG's who swear by the HB, but I think even they will admit it has a learning curve.  Personally, I tried it and for me it just doesn't provide what I and my dome need.  I used a Fusion until the Personna M5 came out and had really good service from the tool--few if any serious nicks.  I'll probably have to return to it now that the M5  is bankrupt >:(.  When I was in your situation, I buzzed it down as far as I could with a clipper, then used my Fusion.  Get it good and soaked in the shower, get some Headslick if it's available in your area.  Then as I said earlier take your time, you get better during the 30 day trial, but take your time, enjoy the "Zen" of cleaning the scraps of your hair off.  And if you get a small nick use the stiptic pencil.  See you on the Sly Side, there's no 11 o'clock news pushing you on the morning after is there? 

thanks for the advice! but what is a stiptic pencil? that's a new one for me

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
thanks for the advice! but what is a stiptic pencil? that's a new one for me
My bad :D, wrong spelling, it's styptic pencil.  To use see:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5073282_use-styptic-pencil.html

Any drug store sells them, they're very cheap.