Author Topic: Figure I've lurked enough  (Read 1994 times)

Offline musicman

• Sly Guy in Training
Figure I've lurked enough
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
Some of you may remember me from a while back. I posted before about my hair situation and how I was considering shaving. My hair is not repulsively bad (no horseshoe or islands or anything like that) but it is just thin enough to the point of being annoying (if it's not combed perfectly, lines of scalp are visible, sunburn on scalp if hair is short, the wind can wreak havoc at any length other than really short and even then there is slight damage, any water on my hair at all shows what I'd look like bald, and if my hair is the slightest bit oily it clumps together and makes noticeable spots). My attitude about the whole thing has changed a bit. Before I was pretty conscious about what people said about it. The jokes used to get to me but now I've heard so many and so often (almost daily since I'm in highschool) that I either just don't care or I have some fun with it myself. It's always great acting like it makes you furious and scaring the crap out of people.

I've been standing on this fence for a while but this breeze just keeps blowing me farther toward the sly side. I'm just trying to find the right time to jump. I'd like to have some time to adjust to it before the public revelation. I'm thinking possible spring break or summer break. The extra time would also allow any mishaps from the first shave to heal a little

I have some concerns though. I have a really oily scalp and sometimes get acne breakouts up there. Would shaving help, hurt, or not affect it at all? My neck is also pretty sensitive and gets razor burn fairly easy no matter how careful I am. It would suck to shave my head only to find that it's the same way up there. Has anyone had any irritation with the conair cleanhead? I know it's designed for shaving heads but I was also wondering if it could be used to shave the neck below the jaw as well. As long as it can get that I could shave my face above the jaw with a dull knife and not have any problems. I'd just like to get everything as smooth as possible with as little irritation as possible.

I just thought I'd say something so you guys wouldn't just think I'm some freak that's creeping on the forums.  :P

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Figure I've lurked enough
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

I've been standing on this fence for a while but this breeze just keeps blowing me farther toward the sly side. I'm just trying to find the right time to jump. I'd like to have some time to adjust to it before the public revelation. I'm thinking possible spring break or summer break. The extra time would also allow any mishaps from the first shave to heal a little.

If you keep waiting for the "ideal" time, you'll never do it because it's surprisingly easy to come up with excuses not to do it.  When you feel you're ready, do it and the consequences be damned.  The "consequences" usually turn out to be a huge non-issue, anyway.  If you need a little time to adjust, then spring break might be the ideal time.  Don't put it off until summer, because it will just eat away at you in the meantime.  As long as it's not a problem with your school or your parents, go for it.

I have some concerns though. I have a really oily scalp and sometimes get acne breakouts up there. Would shaving help, hurt, or not affect it at all? My neck is also pretty sensitive and gets razor burn fairly easy no matter how careful I am. It would suck to shave my head only to find that it's the same way up there.

You just need to keep your scalp clean by applying an astringent like witch hazel, once or twice a day.  It's easier to keep a bare scalp oil-free, so if you're prone to acne, not having hair might be a big advantage.

Good luck!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
Welcome!
MikeC

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Enough excuses. Just do it.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Welcome musicman, don't wait to do it, you'll wish you had sooner.
One thing about having a smooth or buzzed tight dome is that it's so much easier to keep clean.
I'm pretty sure this will help with your scalp issues overall.

Enter your email address: