Author Topic: To all you former hair wearers....  (Read 5459 times)

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
To all you former hair wearers....
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:54 AM »
I know there are a few of you that used to be hair club clients and now you let it shine.
How many of there are you ?
Also let me ask you, does anyone have any good stories of like going back to hairclub and shotputting the piece at sy sperling or anything ? or did you just take it off and never go there again...
Just curious. This section of the forums a little bit dead so I thought I would try to liven it up !

Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: To all you former hair wearers....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:16:26 AM »
I was never a hair wearer, but I've noticed that guys coming here wanting to rid themselves of the system seem to be some of the hardest converts.  They just can't quite get to Sly sometimes.  Comments?

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

marty22

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:18:36 AM »
Im sure for a hair-wearer, a complete change is very difficult and mind-blowing. A friend of mine, who went to jail for stealing $$$$$$$$$ (white collar crime) had to remove his $4000 piece when he went off to jail. He was badly shaken but accepts it now.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:42:27 AM »
Well what do you expect..??  Those hair clubs make a man feel like a piece of sheet if you do not have hair.  They brainwash you into thinking taht the only way you can be successful in anything is to have a mop on top of your head.  So naturally when they come here, it is like pulling eye teeth to get them to see the other side.  Once they get over here, sure it still feels weird....but its a GOOD WEIRD...

Hi my name is Timmay....and I have never been a hair wearer, and I am proud of it.!

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »
I just don't get it...I have never worn a system or wig....but I would think I would be more self conscious wearing something like that than being bald.....that's just the way I feel.... ???
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:44:23 PM by Brkeatr »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:03:01 AM »
I just don't get it...I have never worn a system or wig....but I would think I would be more self consious wearing something like that than being bald.....that's just the way I feel.... ???

You're not alone with that opinion.
Agree 100% !!!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
I just don't get it...I have never worn a system or wig....but I would think I would be more self consious wearing something like that than being bald.....that's just the way I feel.... ???

I would always walk around thinking..."Do they know I'm wearing a rug??!!!???"
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
Never was a hair wearer, but a hat-wearer.  Same idea, trying to hide the baldness, and it puts you in somewhat of a hair-loss denial.
I am intrigued by the rug converts, which is why I always think about what happened to Tampa Drew everytime I cruise the forum.

marty22

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
Im betting that Tampa Drew went back to the rug.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
Yes, 'tis a shame.  We were all rooting for Tampadrew.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
I wore one for years.
Never felt like I was brainwashed or anything. I didn't go to any big name club or anything. Just some local guy who would cut my hair when i needed it for aroung $12. The units themselves cost around $400 from what I recall.

It did suck though.

Every time the wind would blow I'd get a sinking feeling in my chest. What if it blew off!!?
Over time the color fades, and brown turns to red over time, the units will only take dye so many times then the dyes don't hold, the unit starts to give you a two tone look. When that happens you start thinking why am I doing this again? Its not like anyone with half a brain cant see you have a rug. You cant swim. I haven't been on an amusement park ride in years. Going sly was the best thing ever.

No regrets here.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:19 PM »

I would always walk around thinking..."Do they know I'm wearing a rug??!!!???"

I really do understand that self concious thing, mine self-confidence is kinda low, because of going bald, but i do agree with Mike. Isn't it like having more freedom to show the bald head instead wearing a wig and trying to hide something all the time. I would feel like i ly to myself, and why doing that for someone else?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:44:01 PM by Ben32 »

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
I wore a rug for many years and it was torture the entire time.  I was lucky to have found a guy that made rugs by hand with imported Italian hair, who became a friend over time.  As far as rugs go, he did a great job.   He was a 3rd generation rug maker and it took him several months to make each one, strand by strand.

Unfortunately, he was stricken with cancer and became very sick.  That made me get serious about going sly after having thought about it for a while, and my wife encouraging me to do it for a while.  Upon finding this site, I was convinced to just shave it all off (what was left of it) within 2 weeks.

Andrew
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline admiralvin

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »
I never went to hair club nor felt the need to retaliate.   In fact I'm still part of the "problem" since I do cut ins for a few guys that wear.  One funny thing is that I think after I shaved my own head,  a couple of guys who's hair I do may have thought that I would "out" them as a wearer or preach to them about getting rid of their own rugs.  This would  be really mean not to mention bad for business....
I have found my own peace, and gained the confidence necessary to go bare but I'm realy careful to not become sanctimonious about it.  Everyone needs to go at their own speed. 
It's a lot more common now (and thus easier and more socially accepted) to be sly than it was 20, 10 or maybe even 5 years ago.  I'm sure we've all been in a public situation recently where the sly guys equal or maybe even outnumber the hairy headed.  This is a relatively new development, (not to mention really cool).  When I first started wearing (1990) it was still a pretty radical thing for a young guy to shave his head completely bald.  My first hair piece was pretty much a high school graduation present and I was really thankful for it at the time.  Like everyone else here with a similar experience, wearing became tiresome, and pointless over time.  Luckily, baldness became cool as I was growing tired of maintaining "my" hair. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:44:35 PM by admiralvin »

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Well said Admiral....  O0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:02:30 PM by Brkeatr »

Enter your email address: