Author Topic: No sly swimmers  (Read 8716 times)

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

Offline stevos148

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: No sly swimmers
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
Phelps might not be attractive, but he's now outrageously wealthy. Life just aint fair.

Have to say I was surprised not to see any sly swimmers. It used to be so popular. Must be something to do with the new body suits, or perhaps the material used for the caps has changed?? I'll bet there is some scientific reason.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »

Have to say I was surprised not to see any sly swimmers. It used to be so popular. Must be something to do with the new body suits, or perhaps the material used for the caps has changed?? I'll bet there is some scientific reason.

Yea true..but what a shame!

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:56 PM »

Yea true..but what a shame!

Sometimes progress is just so backwards.   :XX

Offline stevos148

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
you heard it first here.... seems the trend for swim caps is all about increased buoyancy. Also swim goggles are apparently more likely to stay in position against the silicone surface.

:(

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:16 AM »
Also swim goggles are apparently more likely to stay in position against the silicone surface.

:(

Anyone who's tried to put goggles on over a smooth bald head will dispute that.  The strap clings to the back of the head and won't move even if you want it to.

Offline Phil Man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

Canada's own Brent Hayden was sporting the sly look all games long  O0

Offline Casey Jones

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
Mark Spitz Mike Swallows....

I was listening to some NPR coverage on the dimensions of the Chinese Olympic pool.  Their claim was that the new swim suits are receiving far too much credit for the smashing of records.  Apparently the depth of the chinese pool was 10 feet, which is about 3 feet deeper than most olympic pools.  The added depth means there are less interference waves to reverberate into the swimmers, slightly slowing them down with more resistance.  Also, the chinese pool had one unmanned lane on each side of the pool so that lateral waves wouldn't be as much of an issue as well.

Anyways near the end of the session a caller asked if shaved heads actually give much of an advantage.  The interviewee (who was a big wig ex coach, not a scientist) claimed that it's not so much of an aerodynamic advantage, instead that the new found tactile stimulation on the scalp and unbridled access of the cold water to the nerves of the swimmer was incredibly psychologically motivating.  This kind of lines up with what Paul said earlier in the thread.
" I never said I didn't have syphilis/ Ms. Listless-- hard like the bricks I pound my fists with/ I mean, she's hard like the bricks/ That I pound with my fists."