Author Topic: Co-Worker Comments that suck!  (Read 8985 times)

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
Co-Worker Comments that suck!
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:05:43 AM »
So, there I am, nearly 12 months after ditching the system and slowly, slowly getting accostomed to life with a number 1 grade buzzcut, kind of doing Ok.

Yesterday, was going to a big local show with some friends. A group of co-workers were also going, but not together. I get a text message asking whereabouts I was, so I text back with "Uhm..Here, near the, blah. blah. blah" I recieved a text back saying "Don't worry, Ill just look out for the bald spot!"

Ok, a flippant comment, meant in jest, but it REALLY pissed me off! Why do people feel that they can objectify others by their looks? I joked it off, because outwardly, that's what I do. But I bet there would have been a different reaction if I had said "It's ok, Ill look out for the droopy boobs!"

Im just having a little pity party today! Tomorrow Ill be fine! Just wondering if anyone else have had any similar experiences?

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Co-Worker Comments that suck!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:32 AM »
Hrmm... I probably have, but I can't really get bent out of shape when I always make a joke about how my head is like a beacon!

I can understand where you are coming from though, because I feel the same when people joke about cutting my beard off(either them doing it or doing it myself).

I know it is hard, but it is best just to just keep doing what you are doing, they don't understand how it affects you, and well whenever I make a big deal out of it, it always seems to end in them getting huffy at me because I told them it offended me... what's up with that? haha... Lucky I am such an easy going guy I guess :D

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
let me ask you something. in the morning. when you make your daily plans, do you say ' I will do anything to please the others, but me', or you are like ' this is me, I do it for me, because it eliberates me and. makes me happy'? which one of two?
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:36:55 AM »
Leigh, your doing fine as for the woman she may have some sensitivity issues. Like Beardman said I reference my bald head frequently. I love the look, feel and freedom. That being said I know some guys have not reached the point of totally embracing the slick bald head. Some never will, and I totally respect that. The important part is finding satisfaction within yourself. Whether it be hair down to your butt cheeks or a slick scraped grape if you like it , then its all good. You may choose to shave slick in the future and if you do your next text will probably read, " dont worry, I'll just look out for the great looking guy."

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
You now, up until now, Ive been reasonably fine!

I think it's a British thing! Can get a hundred compliments and brush them off as "whatever! dont believe it"

Then one off the cuff stupid comment and the world ends.

I wont let it show that it narked me.

Glad there is a place to piss and moan though!

Offline LatinCoffee

• Como estas?
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
Leigh,

Don't give your joy away to anyone...no one deserves it but you. Not everyone is going to like how you look and there may be others that like it.

At work, I get girls that call me 'handsome and cutie' and some guys that play for my team that like it, too  but I'm sure there are some that don't  even look my way...I'm  fine with that, too!  ;D

Hope you're  feeling better.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
I had a similar experience back in June with a cab driver but I was like "whatever".
Hair is over rated.

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
Went to a restaurant yesterday and the owner always greets me. He has a shiny bald head with thick fuzz around the sides. I've been trying for ages to encourage him to come out into the light and shave it all...I pointed to my head and said, "how do you like my hair"?

You could have text back to your friend...look for the handsome guy with the beautiful head.

You can always try to beat the sh*t heads to the punch but making fun of yourself, in a proud and confident way. G'luck!

8)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
Leigh, as a guy that's your age, my favorite statement that I live by is "Don't entertain stupidity, let stupidity entertain you!" But if you were looking for a comeback just for the hell of it, I would have said "Be careful and look for my bald spot at your own risk....it's been known to blind people!" I personally would have taken the high road and just ignored her...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
dude

.be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
I recieved a text back saying "Don't worry, Ill just look out for the bald spot!"

And this person's comments are important to you why?

We so often let other people's thinking (and insensitivity) take priority over our own. That's just crazy!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:57:58 PM by FrontierGuy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
You're okey !  Those casual insensitive comments are part of the road to baldness.  I used to get comments like "dang, couldn't you save any from the shower drain."  or "better start wearing ball caps to prevent sunburn" (in the winter).

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciated everything that you said and totally agreed with you all.

As a singer once said "Life is a rollercoaster"

Normally I just brush off stuff, and yeah, Why does that person's opinion matter to me!!

Andrei

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »
leighmundo, you can chose your friends but not your co-workers.
I'm sure that text message is not the worst thing you have ever heard from a colleague.
Definitely didn't cheer you up, but don't let it bring you down either.  It's not worth it.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
Yeah Andrei, you are right. Time to man Up and get a grip! Rrraaargh!