Author Topic: Hunters???  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Tater

• Learning the way of Sly
Hunters???
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
So did anyone have any luck hunting anything this past season?  I got several squirrels, ducks and this doe...

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
Re: Hunters???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
I use to, but not anymore.   Rabbit, squirrel (I Don't know why I bothered)  Pheasant,  and deer.  But no more.  The Browning Automatic 5 (A Belgium model just sits in the closet.  Sigh
Nice gun too.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
I'm not much of a hunter but I am a taxidermist. The only things I really shoot anymore are starlings, much easier to just raise up the birds (pheasant, mallard, grouse) for butcher

Offline gunngee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
Moose, Deer, Grouse. That's about it. I haven't been in about 5 years but I'm getting the itch to get out there again.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
Here's a little buck I got in Montana:

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Stoots

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
I bowhunt; got a doe last year but took no pics.  I'm thinking of going on a guided black bear hunt here in NC with the bow.

Tyler- nice buck!

:)

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
Hey Stoots...question for you. Would you ever buy a bow online?

Offline Stoots

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »

Sure, but only a new one from Hunter's Friend or Cabelas.  Hunter's Friend's customer service is excellent, and they can taylor a package specific to you.  And the bows they sell are covered under the manufacturer's warranties (I'm almost certain this applies to Cabelas as well).  Most bow companies will not warranty a bow bought on eBay, for example, but Hunter's Friend and Cabelas (and Bass Pro) are the exceptions.  I have a Mathews Z7, so I had to buy it at a Mathews dealer.

Have a look:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

As for buying used bows like on Craigslist or eBay, I'm kinda funny about that.  You don't know the real history behind the bow, and like I said, manufacturer's warranty means alot.  I've bought used bows before and been lucky.

And, no matter what most bow brand fans will tell you, almost all bows made today are great.  Just find the one that shoots best to you.

Do you shoot now or are you thinking about getting into it?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:09:08 AM by Stoots »

Offline gunngee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
The first picture is a moose my dad got in the central interior of BC.
The second picture is my first moose (dressed out at 800 lbs.) not too far from where my dad got his only 3 years later with the same rifle I'm holding in the first pic. I apologize for the bad quality but they were originally taken on film then converted.

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »

Sure, but only a new one from Hunter's Friend or Cabelas.  Hunter's Friend's customer service is excellent, and they can taylor a package specific to you.  And the bows they sell are covered under the manufacturer's warranties (I'm almost certain this applies to Cabelas as well).  Most bow companies will not warranty a bow bought on eBay, for example, but Hunter's Friend and Cabelas (and Bass Pro) are the exceptions.  I have a Mathews Z7, so I had to buy it at a Mathews dealer.

Have a look:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

As for buying used bows like on Craigslist or eBay, I'm kinda funny about that.  You don't know the real history behind the bow, and like I said, manufacturer's warranty means alot.  I've bought used bows before and been lucky.

And, no matter what most bow brand fans will tell you, almost all bows made today are great.  Just find the one that shoots best to you.

Do you shoot now or are you thinking about getting into it?

I used to shoot, but I was thinking about starting an online bow shop. It seems to be a pretty under served niche. I have a strong background in e-commerce and internet marketing, and I'm looking to start my own business.

I was aware that Hoyt and Mathews don't like their bows being sold online. I'm trying to do my due diligence before I open up shop.

Offline Stoots

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
Sounds great!

Like I said, I'd buy a new bow from an online proshop!

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
Sounds great!

Good to know. What did Hunter's Friend do for you to set up the bow?

I'm thinking of using the name BigCountryArchery.com ... I think it fits the niche well. Thoughts?

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
Some awesome Bows there Stoots...

It's amazing that one does not need a licence to possess that, well, not here anyway.

They are super lethal, super stealthy...

But, Ja, some great pieces....

Bow hunting somehow seems like more of an "art" than using a rifle?
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Stoots

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
Sounds great!

Good to know. What did Hunter's Friend do for you to set up the bow?

I'm thinking of using the name BigCountryArchery.com ... I think it fits the niche well. Thoughts?

I haven't bought from them but a friend of mine has.  He provided them with his draw length (they explain how to measure that), and they take the bow and assemble the accessories based on that.  Then they cut the arrows to length and sight in the bow.  They say some fine tuning is needed, but his came out of the box dead-on. 

The name sounds good to me!

Offline Stoots

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
Some awesome Bows there Stoots...

It's amazing that one does not need a licence to possess that, well, not here anyway.

They are super lethal, super stealthy...

But, Ja, some great pieces....

Bow hunting somehow seems like more of an "art" than using a rifle?

I think it's just preference, but bowhunting requires patience simply because the animal has to get close.  For me, that 'in close' aspect is what makes it great.  Most of the time, my hunting trips are more about being outside at the break of dawn; seeing the daylight emerge from the cold dark.  The sounds of the woods coming alive is incredible.