Author Topic: R I P Joe Paterno  (Read 5154 times)

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
Re: R I P Joe Paterno
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
The entire program at that school is also complicit ................nothing was investigated and the football program was allowed to do whatever they wanted. I still think the football program should be shut down for 10 years.................don't let that cesspool program be allowed to make millions of dollars. If all the ''joe pa'' fans are  upset............................f-'em

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - January 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Decked out in Penn State hats and jackets, students and townspeople stood in a line more than a quarter-mile long Tuesday to pay their respects to Joe Paterno, the coach who for nearly a half century was the face of their university.

Mourners waited for hours along a main campus artery for the chance to file past Paterno's closed casket at the campus spiritual center during a public viewing session. Some departed crying. All were moved.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »
Meanwhile the boys, many now grown men, that he allowed to be raped suffer in silence.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »
Meanwhile the boys, many now grown men, that he allowed to be raped suffer in silence.

Strictly speaking you're right. The percentage of boys who report being assaulted is shockingly low, much lower than girls. The problem is that later in life the assault starts to speak out in other ways like alcohol/drug abuse, suicide (including attempts), cutting, and other types of what is called "acting out" behavior. If you include psych problems like PTSD and Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly multiple personality disorder) and others it's not so silent, it just speaks in a language that the vast majority of people don't understand.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
No matter how the shrinks analyze and hypothesize......................the destruction caused by pedophiles is understood in ANY language,.............even psycho-babble.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
I'm not going to go and be judgmental of Paterno or anyone else here...I do know that in this entire scandal, that there are NO winners...NONE. I sincerely pray not only for Mr. Paterno's family, but I pray that someday these men who were violated can find some comfort and healing from somewhere. While criminal acts such as these cannot be completely prevented, we as parents need to take charge of our children's whereabouts at ALL times. When your son/daughter goes by someone's house or with someone, get information including first and last names of people, ensure that there is enough adult supervision, even if you have to go yourself and other measures to prevent acts like this. Was JoePa guilty of what he did? Sure, but he was not alone in the failure to act. In conclusion, I pray for everyone affected, even Sandusky for all that he "allegedly" did. because the damage done to not only the victims, but the school may be too much to repair and overcome....my 0.02
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - January 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Crediting him with building not just better athletes but better men, some 12,000 people - including Penn State students, fans and football stars - paid tribute to Joe Paterno in a campus memorial service Thursday that exposed a strong undercurrent of anger over his firing.
In a 2½-hour gathering that capped three days of mourning on campus, Nike chairman and CEO Phil Knight brought the near-capacity crowd at the basketball arena to its feet when he defended the coach's handling of child-sex allegations leveled against a former assistant. Paterno was fired two months ago by the Penn State trustees.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
''Anger over his firing''???? I'll never understand how people can be angered by his firing.........other than complete ignorance and refusing to believe ''Joe Pa'' could have allowed this crime to take place. Paterno owned that program and was treated like a God.......and that blind following must be why fans won't see that Paterno chose to turn the other way instead of stopping a pedophile. It is a sad testimony of society today.