Author Topic: Glad to find this site  (Read 2184 times)

Offline HappyBald

• Learning the way of Sly
Glad to find this site
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Glad I found this site so I can say how I really feel. First off: I am 43 now and I started losing my hair in my 20s. My first reaction to hair falling out of my head was a mixture of fear and grief - it's scary! I think the most common first response is to do one's best to maintain the status quo: i.e. hide the baldness as much as possible. That's because a change will be a dramatic change - and one that was not planned. One's self-image has to be altered and that is traumatic. But, while being a natural reaction, this is an immature response and eventually one has to face reality.
This is not helped by the fact that baldness is used by some as a means of deprecation, fueled by the notion that he ideal man as portrayed on the movie screen has had thick dark or blond hair. 
To make matters worse there are businesses out there that depend on the desire to have hair to make their money. Commercials will go all out to tell you that you need hair to be successful and to be attractive. They depend on bald men being insecure about their baldness so they can sell their products or services. They will do and say everything they can to generate and foster that insecurity. So losing one's hair becomes a "bad thing."
In reality, though, being bald is no bad thing. There is nothing more visibly masculine than a good old bald head. That, plus confidence, is extremely attractive to the ladies. I am quite sure that Patrick Stewart would never have been voted sexiest man had he not been bald.
I also think that being bald also helps a man gain a command of respect. People listen to what the bald man has to say. Both my grandfathers were bald. Both were very successful - one was one of the best respected doctors in the city where I grew up, the other was a prominent lawyer in London and became president of the Law Society. Baldness certainly did not hinder them.
We all know that many women love bald men who are confident and self-assured. Insecurity is never attractive. Trying to conceal one's baldness - at worst with the comb-over - demonstrates insecurity. Feel free to disagree but I believe that more hair on top actually looks more feminine and more child-like. Men should look like men, with short hair or no hair.
It's also more practical and more efficient - which is why men have short hair in the military.
So after a couple of goes at Rogaine, I saw sense, decided not to waste my money, and went with the balding pattern. Right now I buzz #1 around the back and lower sides, and #2 everywhere else. That seems to suit my head. 
One thing: unkempt hair looks terrible if you're going bald!

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
Re: Glad to find this site
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Welcome to SBG, HAPPYBALD!!

Glad you found us!!

You seemed to have summed up exactly the feelings that a lot of us members have felt when we first starting losing our hair!!

When it first happens, the majority of men, play a game with the rest of the world called "Hide The Melon", where they try and hide that bald spot for as many years as they can, sometimes even to the point of (what they believe is) being very creative in attempts to conceal their baldness, but in reality, is truly such a hair-brained scheme (pun intended), that it is extremely sad, yet comical (in some cases) - and yes - they do stand out in the crowd, but for ALL the wrong reasons!!

But, sometimes desperation, reality, and common sense solutions aren't always on the same page.....

...And, while you might "feel comfortable", and look good at your current "buzz state", there ain't nuttin' like grabbin' the blade razor, and shavin' down all the way to the bone!!

"Skin is IN!!"  

Once again...WELCOME!!

- Cap'n Noodles -

(Post up a profile pic when you can)                        

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:09:44 AM by Noodles »

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

seahawk guy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »
Good to have you in the SBGs gang. Welcome.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
Nice intro HappyBald! Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline HappyBald

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
Thanks for all your kind responses!

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Welcome! Glad you found us. :)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
Welcome to the Forum HB!! Join on in!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
HB, welcome to the best bald forum on the Internet!  O0 Glad you found us  8)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
Welcome, HB.  Great first post
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline prettiwiki

• Hey
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
Welcome