Author Topic: Gettysburg Bike Week 2010  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Gettysburg Bike Week 2010
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
I know we have some bikers on the Forum. I'm just wondering if any of you guys may be coming to Gettysburg Bike Week next week (July 8th thru 11th).
It's a great event in a great town....... I'm just down the road from gettysburg by about 10 miles.

If you are going, PM me and maybe we can get together for a few beers.

Here's a link for the event:

http://www.gettysburgbikeweek.com/

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Gettysburg Bike Week 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
Sounds like fun, Mike....but I ain't got my Harley just yet....I betcha next year I'm there!   Wait a minute...Denver to Gettysburg....that's means a touring bike.....we'll see O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
Sounds like fun, Mike....but I ain't got my Harley just yet....I betcha next year I'm there!   Wait a minute...Denver to Gettysburg....that's means a touring bike.....we'll see O0

That's a long ride my friend....... you could always trailer it and drop the trailer at my house for the week.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »

That's a long ride my friend....... you could always trailer it and drop the trailer at my house for the week.

LOL....I mapped it after I posted this and thought HOLY SH**!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
Unfortunately I can't make it this year Mike, my godson is coming up for a week at that time.  If this is an annual event, I would like to make it next year and then continue my ride out to Virginia. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
Unfortunately I can't make it this year Mike, my godson is coming up for a week at that time.  If this is an annual event, I would like to make it next year and then continue my ride out to Virginia. 

It is an anuual event. Same week every year. I'd love to have you down as a guest.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
Bring your Schwinn, Paul.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
Hey Mike I may pop in as I only live about 40 minutes away. These things tend to old pretty quick though :-\

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
.....These things tend to old pretty quick though :-\

huh??? :-\

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »
I rode into Gettysburg last night with the group I ride with (ten bikes total). We went to The Pike which is a restaurant with a big deck area and a small bar. A LOT of bikes go there during the weekend. There were a lot of cool bikes and of courrse a handful of jackasses thinking they were the definition of cool.

We actually cut the evening short.... around 9 PM... because word traveled thru the crowd that a big storm was on the way. We headed home (about 20 minutes west of Gettysburg) and my bike wasn't in the garage for 10 minutes when it started raining.

We headed over to the one guys' house in the car and had multiple beers and some homemade apple hooch. Rolled in about 1 AM this morning.

We're all heading back out this afternoon... today is vendor visitation day for me. I have a couple of things on my "I want" list.

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »
Mike I don't think I'm going to make it this weekend. Not in the mood do deal with  the  crowds :Xo! and not the nicest of days out. Maybe we can hook up for a ride some other time.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
Mike I don't think I'm going to make it this weekend. Not in the mood do deal with  the  crowds :Xo! and not the nicest of days out. Maybe we can hook up for a ride some other time.

No problem.... I just came back from G'burg to get the Mrs.. We're heading back out to G'burg about 3:30 EST. I bought a new shifter linkage and had it installed. Looks awesome!!!

Going to the Bikini Contest at 4 PM.....  COld beers and pretty Biker Girls. Man is life good or what??

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
These things tend to old pretty quick though :-\

I have to second this. Although I've been bikeless for a number of years when I was riding I did the Sturgis Rally 7 times. First time they estimated a quarter million bikes and most places were crowded but, by the last trip out they estimated one and a half million and it was a nightmare. My first trip I stayed the entire week, the last trip I got fed up with the gridlock. Actually had to straddle and walk my scoot down Lazelle from one end of town to the other. Packed up and left after a day and a half. I hope this doesn't happen in G'burg.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

BTW, funny trailer story from my last Sturgis trip.
A buddy and I were camped at a campground near the Full Throttle. We're sitting around outside the tents waiting for it to cool down a bit before heading over to the Saloon and this rig pulls in. A black pickup with a red lightning bolt down the side. The enclosed trailer is also black with a red lightning bolt down the side. 2 guys get out of the truck and after some fiddle-f**kin' around drop the ramp and roll out their rides. One of them is black with a red lightning bolt down the side.
They go back inside the trailer and come out with brand new leathers, jackets and chaps. I could see they were brand-spankin' new because they still had the HD price tags on them. These 2 dudes put on the leathers and then started grabbing fistfulls of dirt and rubbing themselves down with it in an attempt to make the leather look beat. Then they got on the scoots and rode off like a couple of cowboys.
That was the year I bought my last "I rode my bike to trailer week" patch. I have 7 of those, one for every year.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »
Well this was my first Gettysburg Bike Week,,,, and it was a little disappointing. Other than having a great time hanging out and riding with my riding group it was a little boring an dnot very well attended.
Usually these kinds of events are greatthe first few years and then massive greed sets in with the sponsors which in turn forcesw the vendors to raise their prices.
I think G'Burg has reached this point. They need to rethink their Bike Week a bit in order for it to continue. I think charging people 10 bucks a day to enter the vendor area is ridiculous..... especially since everyone that is working the event is a VOLUNTEER!

I REALLY liked OCean City Maryland Bike Week last year but this one was a bit of a dud. On well..... Ocean City is only twomonths away.

I did buy a cool new shifter linkage. I got it for $40 bucks less than it cost on line and they installed it for free in about 10 minutes/