Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 2048 times)

Offline marcx

• Sly
Hello everyone
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
I've been an on again off again lurker for a while...I had a gradual path towards slyness over the past couple of years...One day I was in a store and saw the back of my head in a security cam and noticed I was getting the ceaser/horshoe thing developing..and being a fan of keeping the hair pretty short to begin with, I started buzzing it with the shortest comb. It wasn't long before I was buzzing with no comb, and then after a while of that I had a panasonic linear and was shaving it off with that. Burt as close as the panasonic got I always kind of felt I wanted closer--pluss the many passes the Panasonic required got old...So for about 2 weeks now I have been headblading and love it. (The cuts are still healing from my first headblade experience, but after that fist time it has been smooth sailing!)

The funny thing is I still use the panasonic on my face, as I have never shaved with anything but electric until the headblade! Pretty funny to be shaving with a blade for the first time at 38!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:59:43 PM by marcx »

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »
Welcome to the SBG ranks. Glad to hear that you are having a good experience with your new look. Post up often and become an active member.

The headblade does have a bit of a learning curve. Just remember to keep the pressure on the back wheels - no matter what.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
Welcome!
MikeC

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
Thanks! I just fixed all the typos in my intro post--I am a horrible typer!

Say I have a question about shaving against the grain...Everyone talks about front to back and vice versa--Does anyone find there are parts of the dome that require what I would call a sideways pass to be going fully against the grain?

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
Does anyone find there are parts of the dome that require what I would call a sideways pass to be going fully against the grain?

I do for maybe a half dollar sized spot on the crown of my head. It is a bit of an odd angle using the HB but I have yet to cut myself there.

Every Which Way To Smooth! O0
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
Cool-thanks! Jsut wanted to make sure I wasn't following a path towards scalping myself  ^-^

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

Does anyone find there are parts of the dome that require what I would call a sideways pass to be going fully against the grain?
Firstly, welcome to the forum, marcx! Regarding sideways passes, I have to attack the stubble on my crown from every possible angle. It seems to grow in a circular pattern.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

usmcpelon

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
Welcome to SBG Marcx.  I too have to use another angle to make sure I get the best possible smooth shave.  I can go from front to back and back to front, but that doesn't end it there.  I have to shave from side to side on the back and sides to get all the stubble completely shave off. 

I have used the Mac 3 during my high & tight horseshoe flatop day to shave the sides off, and it work perfectly.  However it doesn't work very well for the complete head shave.  I then came across the persona Mac 5 on this board and it work perfect for me.  I have been unable to bring myself to purchase the headblade since I get a excellect job with the M5 and would hate to find out the headblade is not for me.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »
Welcome to SBG!
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies everyone--look forward to seeing you all on the boards  O0

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
Welcome Marcx.  So good to have you posting with us.  I have (had) super wavy hair.  Therefore I have to attack the head in every direction imaginable for that baby butt smooth head.  Your lucky to only have the one spot!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Welcome Marcx!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Welcome to SBG's forum marcx, good to have you join us.

You've made the right choice in shaving it down, and in choosing the Headblade as well. I'm a big HB fan, and it is my "go to" razor, though I do mix in using the Personna M5, Gillette Mach III and fusion, and every now and then I use my Atra. I get great shaves from all.

Hope you enjoy the forum.    O0

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »
Glad to have you here!
- Eric W-

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:36:07 AM »
Welcome marcx
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt