Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Dman88

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie here
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
Hey all, my name is David and I just discovered this site today. So far, this is an awesome website (and didn't think one existed for us bald/balding guys). I lurked around for about an hour, then made the decision to go ahead and register.

I'm 21 years old and I started having a receding hair line/thinning hair around the time of my 19th birthday. I don't know how to say this but during my high school years, I was considered one of the "pretty" boys with long hair and had girls complement/ play with my hair. I have always been self-conscious of myself but I remember the day at my job, one of my co-workers pointed out to me "David, you're going bald... just like my brother!" (His brother too worked at my job but on the other side of the building). My self-consciousness got worse as I looked into the mirror and noticed the top-sides were thinning. One night working, I was sent over to the other side of the building and caught up with his brother (25 at the time w/shaved head) and asked him for any advice. He told me "when you show too much, shave it off and you'll feel so much better".

I kept his advice until this past new years when I decided to go ahead and buzz my shoulder length hair (took it down to a 3). To my surprise, I went to work and a few of the co-workers told me I looked so much better (and clean). I even had one of the female co-workers come up to me and say "wow, you look like a bada**!"

Even though I give this bada** vibe, I was comfortable with this look but a few lady friends told me I need to take rogaine and grow it back. Not going to lie, this hurt and little did they know I have been taking Rogaine (since October). The rogaine is somewhat working but only making the thinning hair thicker, not replacing any I have lossed. I still have about 3 months left and if I don't see anymore improvement, I think i'm going to go for the sly look   ^-^. Even though both my parents rather me buzz my hair, i'm going to do it anyway lol

I see you all like pictures, ill post one up later on (got a busy schedule today) whether or not to go over to the other side of the fence. First thing I want to discuss, I need some advice/confidence so I don't have to feel ashamed when I approach women or go out in public w/o the hat lol. I'd like to hear from all ages about this, talk to you all soon!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:40 AM »
Welcome, as you have time and roam around the site you're going to come on what is a mantra here, "No rugs, no plugs, no drugs!"  Basically the foundation of this site's view is that a natural solution to male pattern baldness is the only real solution, and that natural solution for the guys here w/ mpb, like me, is to shave the remaining hair off and hide my balding in plain site.   

a few lady friends told me I need to take rogaine and grow it back. Not going to lie, this hurt and little did they know I have been taking Rogaine (since October). ...I think i'm going to go for the sly look   ^-^. Even though both my parents rather me buzz my hair, i'm going to do it anyway lol
Rogaine doesn't work, it can cause skin reactions, it's messy too--and if you have any tendency at all to irregular heart beat--it can aggravate that too. 
The lady "friends" who counsel drugs are trying to remake you in their own ideal--they're not friends, trust me :Xo!.  This is about you.  Would you tell them how to keep their hair?  I guess that you would not.  Where do they get off telling you what to do with your hair?   :/O
Try Sly for 30 days, what's left--or most of it >:D--will grow back.  You will be bald bc you have the genetic trait--it's not a disease at all, not even a disability.  Do it for yourself.  And, enjoy.  O0

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »
Welcome to the group and saintc is right -- Rogaine doesn't work.   If you're expecting to get a full head of hair by rubbing potions on your head you're going to be very disappointed and poorer.    Take the advice of the guys on the board and shave it off.   If you think you looked bad with a #3 -- wait until you're slick -- you're going to be the definition of bad.   AND there are a lot of women out there who go crazy over guys with shaved heads.   Trust me on that one -- I can personally attest to the fact that there are women out there who can't keep their hands off your head and love to pay you compliments.    Worst case -- after 30 days -- let it grow back out to a #3 and look like a guy who is losing his hair. :-)  Or walk tall and proud as a sly brother.

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Hey, I am new here as well but.... I can relate to you totally. I am 31 I started losing my hair about 21 it was no big deal then, cause I had thick hair, by the time I was 24-25 I noticed it, and people must have thought I didn't know I was getting thin up top and felt like it was their obligation to tell me about it. My wife would even play with my hair and tell me "you have whole spots where there is no hair" I really enjoyed that. Like I didn't know. >:(
So I have spent the last 6 yrs under a hat as much as possible. I still kept my hair short but wore a hat except for church. Then I was laid off, Luckily I found a new job in about 3 months, but I have to dress a little nicer ie: NO MORE HATS AT WORK. So I have recently had to come to grips with its not coming back and the hat wasn't making it go away, just not dealing with it. So dealing with it I am.  O:O   Long story short. don't let the comments bother you. Most people engage mouth before putting brain into gear. Even the ones that care about you. They just didn't think about it first.

Not trying to discourage but, Rogaine don't really work. I used it for 6 months and nothing. Then after reading the label I stopped. check out the side effects. Heart issues??? really not worth hair to me.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
So dealing with it I am.  O:O   Long story short.
:*)) :*)) :*))
Great pun!  Good lesson!

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:50:44 AM »
Welcome! Glad you found the place.  O0
- Eric W-

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

Just got back from my the 1st buzz. I am lovin it. Will post a pic in my other topic. Already thinking about getting closer.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »
"Being BALD is alot better than GOING BALD "   and OH  - - - - how we all know it

Go for it  - - - -and enjoy being BALD  like all of us

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »
Welcome to SBG!

Offline Tennessee

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Please excuse the hat (and hair) :)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
Welcome to SBG!  I agree with these guys.  Before I joined this site I did a little research into my options and there is nothing that is all it is cracked up to be.  Sales pitches sound great but that is all they are.  If you want honest answers then dig around here for a while and see what these guys have learned.  You can even see the down side of the Sly Life, which sounds a whole lot better to me then drugs (poor libido, irregular heart rate, hair in new and astounding places), plugs (smiley on the back of the head), or rugs (Just imagine the smell).

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum, David.  Glad you could join us! O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
Welcome David!

Don't try to keep something that is going to leave you anyway.
Dump the hair now and you'll be fine.  :)
Ach du meine Nase!

Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
Don't try to keep something that is going to leave you anyway.

Well said!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Dman!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
Welcome to SBG's forum David, you've come to the right place for encouragement and good information.
First off, ditch the drugs, ditch the hat, buzz/shave the dome down to a level you feel comfortable with, and get out there and rock it!, you'll be glad you did.   O0