Author Topic: Hello guys. I'm new here  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Cypher

• Sly Guy in Training
Hello guys. I'm new here
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:20:21 AM »
Hello guys

Im Michael 20 years old from Philippines. Im a college student and guess what, balding. I've been a lurker for almost a month now, to be honest, this site helps me a lot. specially when i'm filling down about this stupid hair of mine. Yep that's right, everytime i see my hair at the mirror, i tend to feel a little down, but reading a couple of posts here makes me feel better.

I started to lose my hair in highschool, a classmate of mine said that im losing my hair during our P.E. class. If my memory serves me right, i'm only 16 at that moment. first, i didnt care. but now, .... damn.

More and more peoeple started to notice it. now, i bet almost everyone in our school knows it. specially the professors 'coz they have a clear view of my dome for an hour and a half. Though they're not saying a thing about it (i dunno why, maybe they think that i'll get mad or they just dont want me to feel bad about myself or something) their weird stares say it all.

Hmmm there are times that i wanted to shave my head, but i'm kinda scared. maybe because, i never see shaved filipino teenage guys before.
   I also considered buzzing it really short, but i realized that it will just make those bald spots more visible.

Thanks for reading. ( sorry for any wrong grammar or something ) English is not our primary language.  :)

- Michael
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:03:42 AM by Cypher »

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
Re: Hello guys. I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »
Welcome Michael !

You will find the best advice at this site and glad you found us !

I wished  SGB was around when I was 20 and balding as I went thru so much denial (long hair comb over).

Without seeing a picture, I imagine you are thinned quite a bit on top so best thing is get it closely clippered, get used to it and then take the razor and shave your head.

Give it 30 days and you will see the difference with your teachers, classmates and even family. 

Do Not Hide That Bald Pride !

Make that positive change and post before and after photos.

---Stasiu

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:10 AM »
Welcome, Michael.  

There's nothing to be afraid of; you're at a stage in your life where you have almost complete freedom to do whatever you want with your appearance.  You're past the age where you're under parental control, and you don't have to worry yet about having to adopt a certain look in order to procure employment.

More and more peoeple started to notice it. now, i bet almost everyone in our school knows it. specially the professors 'coz they have a clear view of my dome for an hour and a half. Though they're not saying a thing about it (i dunno why, maybe they think that i'll get mad or they just dont want me to feel bad about myself or something) their weird stares say it all.

They don't say anything because they don't care; nor will they care if you shave your head.  I think we all tend to forget from time to time that the rest of the world is not as fixated on our appearances as we are.  It's a big deal to the person who's going through what you are, but it's not something that others are going to spend a lot of time thinking about.

Part of the college experience is learning to be independent and to make your own choices.  Don't let a fear of what others may be thinking stop you from doing what you want to do.

mmm there are times that i wanted to shave my head, but i'm kinda scared. maybe because, i never see shaved filipino teenage guys before.
   I also considered buzzing it really short, but i realized that it will just make those bald spots more visible.

It's inevitable that the bald spots will eventually become more visible, even if you do nothing. Sometimes it's better to just get it over with -- rip the Band-Aid off now, quickly, instead of agonizing about how much it's going to hurt at some point in the future.  In fact, when you finally do shave your head, you'll find that it's not nearly as traumatic as you thought it would be.

Give yourself a buzz cut or a shave when you feel you're ready. You'll know when the time is right; just don't waste too much time agonizing over it.  The world won't end.  ;)

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
Welcome Michael.  Listen to the guys as they know what they are talking about.  Most of the guys on the site have been where you are at the present.  Good luck on your decision, we are behind you. So, come often and ask questions or just read the conversations and learn from the information.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

BaldRob

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Welcome Michael... Lot's of young men have the same issue... just accept it for what it is and be proud of who you are!  Whether you shave it off or not is a personal choice, though we will encourage it, but no matter your choice, we're here to support you!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44:02 AM »
Welcome to SBG's forum Michael, you've come to the right place for encouragement.

So many younger guys are where you are right now, and they have decided to take control of their mpb situation. Read through the threads and see for yourself what they've been dealing with.

I guarantee if you give it a try you will love it, not to mention the freedom that comes with it, as well.

Let us know how it goes.      O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Michael! As the guys have said.... be yourself and if you're a good Man nobody will care about your hair or lack of it. Do what you feel is right for you ..... if you're happy those that care about you will be too.

Please do not hesitate to ask for more advice! And PLEASE join right in on responding and creating threads.

By the way... your English is just fine.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Welcome Michael!

There is neither wrong nor right in that matter, you have to find out what you like yourself.
Fortunately, buzzing or shaving is easily reversible.
It might be a live-changing experience though.

I would suggest a buzz cut. It is not as extreme as shaving but it also shows your awareness and confidence.
You wouldn't have to be curious any more what other people can or cannot see.  :)

Good luck!
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline dodger

• dodger
  • Sly Jr.
  • after
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »
Welcome Michael

You have found the right family that will help you but you need to answer the question:

What is going to make you happy?

I know it's hard but you cannot base your decision on what people say or think

Good Luck on your decision but MAKE IT YOURS

Keep in touch

By the way you have no problem with your writing...ALL GOOD

steve

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »
Welcome to SBGs, Michael!!! 8)

Offline Cypher

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
Thanks a lot guys and wow, your positive perspective never cease to impress me. This community is really one of a kind. I'll definitely enjoy being with you guys.

Hmmm as always, you guys were right. I have some other issues to worry and  this balding hair should be the least of my problems. Thanks a lot for your support.

for the meantime, i'll ask my girlfriend and my family about it. I never actually talk about this with anyone but i guess i'll be needing all the support that i can get  ;D I want to know their opinion about this. Hope they'll understand.

I'll give the " buzzing it really short "  a try. So i wont have to worry whenever the wind hits my hair or something like that. If the 1 or 0 buzz gives me a horshoe head look or something, i'll definitely go with the sly look since i dont have other option  :*))

Gotta go to school now, thanks for boosting my confidence. I'll keep you guys updated.
Good day

- Michael

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »
Welcome Cypher
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Michael!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
Welcome Michael!