Author Topic: How to know when the battle has been lost  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
How to know when the battle has been lost
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I've come to realize that should have started shaving my head much sooner than I did.  I was of the "hang on to my hair as long as I can" mentality, which I now realize is counter-productive.  It can be difficult knowing when the time is right, especially when it isn't known how much hair will ultimately be lost.   But I've come to believe that it's better to start shaving "too soon" as opposed to waiting "too long".

I'm not a fan of the receding hairline look, so I've become a firm believer that the entire head should be shaved clean once Stage 3 on the Norwood-Hamilton scale is reached.  What do the rest of you think -- what's the furthest MPB should be allowed to progress before the bull is taken by the horns?

slyatlast

Re: How to know when the battle has been lost
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
Roman numeral one.... O0

I waited for IV which was way too long.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
First, thank for getting the scale out there in front of everyone--it would be a good thing to have permanently located somewhere on the site bc when found on the net generally it's in the middle of a sales pitch for "full head of hair" snake oil.

When to shave? :/O--I'm with you 8), but I can also see that some guys might want to hold on to a tight buzz in some cases as long as a stage IV--but for my money that only works if an island hasn't become too noticeable in front and most importantly the receding hairline is symmetrical.  It's not what I'd do, but at least it can be made presentable, think Stratham (sp?).  Once it's gone to a V, it gets to be too much like mutton dressed as lamb no matter what your chronological age--it doesn't work anymore, and by VI and beyond--frankly not far down the road--the fact is that the guy is profoundly bald.  There's no other cut, IMO, but sly, although I've seen one or two guys who can pull off a no guard buzz--but it's rare to be able to do that.  

Good find on the chart--it's a good reality check for everyone since by age fifty, 50% of all guys will have evidence of MPB--and objective standards of you relationship to your hair of youth is essential.  

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
I was definitely at a III, but I was at a III for a good long time before I did anything about it.  I was on my way to a III A and knew I had to do something before the widow's peak was lost.  In addition, I was thinning out all over on top.  If I let my hair grow out now, I think I'd be at about a V or a V A. 

When I was moving into the III territory, I thought that maybe it would stop there, but I guess the reality is if  you're a III in your 20s, the odds are that you're going to go at least to a V or VI.

Offline basikbiker

• Sly Jr.
  • put your man boots on
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
I am definitively a 3 on the scale, still happy bout the sly decision bout a week now

marty22

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
After laser, Im a VII.

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
The battle may have been lost but the war can still be won (by shaving)  8)

About 3 years ago I was still at a I, now I am somewhere about a IV, looking forward to reaching the later stages so there is less to shave. When I started noticing the beginnings of an island at the front that is when I knew it was time, anything past a III and it is probably time to take the bull by the horns shave it off.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
im at about a 2 with a little thinning on the top
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline DaDi

• Sly
  • The 1st sly member in SBG from Greece!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »
Im IV A :(
Yea, right...

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 08:42:05 AM »
I was about a III Vertex.  I didn't have the complete bald spot in the back, but the entire top was thinning...bad.  But I don't have to worry about that now, do I???

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »
Just like Jamesh75.  III Vertex.  Since discontinuing Rogaine and starting shaving, the vertex has lost a lot.  It is pretty smooth up there, even when I go a few days without shaving.

I think that IV and beyond looks ridiculous.  Just shave it off.  The guys who walk around with VI and VII are the worst.  I have a friend that is VI + and just refuses to shave off the Bozo the Clown hair.  He would look great bald, but he's hanging on for dear life.  I've tried to convince him, but he won't budge.

Anyways, for anyone who is reading this and is III Vertex or more, shave it off man.  Everyone knows you're bald.  Embrace it and enjoy your life!

By the way, I just noticed that I'm 4 posts away from balloons and fireworks.  Does Timmay deliver those personally or via email?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:40:32 AM by bem75 »

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »
I'm at III with the bald spot in the back.  I didn't know my hairline was receding till I shaved it off so I had a combover and didn't know it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
The battle may have been lost but the war can still be won (by shaving)  8)

Absolutely.   O0