Author Topic: new and what to do  (Read 2318 times)

Offline billy74

• Learning the way of Sly
new and what to do
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
just wanted to say hey there. The thing is I dont know what to do? my hair is getting thin and mpb is starting to set in. my last hair cut i had a few weeks ago i had the barber use the 1/8 on the back and sides he used scissors on the top with bangs. i want a different cut than i had idk to use the 1/8 or the next one down from that or a hnt dont know which one to get? another thing is getting the nerve to go and what others will think?

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: new and what to do
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »
Make the step to the level you feel is right for you.  Try it for 30 days.  You can always change then.  Good luck.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
Number 1: FORGET what others will say or think or do!! Decide what you want and go for it. If you've gone that short though I would have to say that you may as well go all the way and shave it off! Nothing like it in the world!! Give sly a shot!
It's all about attitude!

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
Hey, welcome to the site.

My hair has been receding and thinning for a couple of years now, it's at the point where there really isn't much point trying to hide the hair loss. I originally decided to buzz it down. I first of all went for the longest setting, then got shorter and shorter over a couple of months. The 1/8 or #1 is pretty short already, not sure if you have tried it on top? I guess you could always start with a longer setting and slowly work you way down, or you could go straight down all the way to a #0 or shave it off completely. I've heard the two approaches likened to trying to get into a cold swimming pool, either feet first slowly going in or jumping head first. I guess the approach depends on you.
Which ever, I'd recomment trying shaving it off, especially if the mpb is bad. It's a great feel and puts you in control of your hair loss. Plus its alot more stylish than the mpb look. Some peoples reactions will be negative at first, but mostly its just that the shock of the change and people tend to get over it fairly quickly. Lots of people will like your new look and it also seems to be attractive to alot of women. The guys on here recommend a 30 day shaving period to allow you and others to get used to it, then you can make a decision as to wether you want to keep it, if not hair grows back so you can also revert back to the old style.
Hope that helps you in making some sort of decision.  

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
The brothers are telling you the way it really is.  Read the threads on the Forum, a couple of your concerns are always answered the same way, other people--by in large [family excepted] no reaction or compliments.  Other thing, some proceed slowly month by month w/ shorter and shorter, some go from long to smooth all at once.

Just remember, it's about you, no one else.  Also, if you decide to shave it all off, it does grow back--w/ mpb not all of it of course--what would have fallen out still will fall out.  It's not whether you're going to be bald, is how you're going to be bald,  The guys here by in large took the matter into their own hands and got ahead of the game and avoided a lot of anxiety. 

See you on the Sly Side--that's another thing you'll see, "Why did I wait so long?"  It's up to you.  We'll answer any other questions you have.

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »
Since you're looking on this site, I assume on some level you're considering shaving.

I would say don't worry what other people think for 2 reasons. 

First, who cares what other people think!  This advice may seem dismissive when you are really nervous about what people think, but in the end, you basically just have stop caring (this is true not just about haircuts, but just living your life in general).  You can obsess over it for months or years, but one day, you're just going to have to stop caring if you wanna be happy.  So why not just start today and save yourself all the unnecessary stress and wasted time?? : )

Second, I think the majority of what we perceive as other people's negative thoughts are just our own insecurities.  From what I've noticed, the average person doesn't even know the difference between buzzing and shaving (many people tend to call anything done w/ clippers "shaved" no matter how long it is). 

I don't know how long your hair on top is now, but the difference in clipper settings is very small.  I remember when I started buzzing my hair my senior year of high school.  I started on a 2 and was SOOOOO nervous when I took it down to a 1 and when I finally did, no one even noticed!  An 1/8 inch difference is hardly anything anyway, and I honestly think that most people don't care enough to even notice.

If you are interested in eventually shaving, I would suggest that buzzing everything down to a 1.  It will still give you the feeling of "having hair", but it's short enough that you'll have an idea of how you'll look completely shaved (especially if your hair is thin or thinning, a 1 will approximate the look of a shaved head, though it will feel completely different).

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

flatdave

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:37 PM »
Number 1: FORGET what others will say or think or do!! Decide what you want and go for it. If you've gone that short though I would have to say that you may as well go all the way and shave it off! Nothing like it in the world!! Give sly a shot!

I agree with Gary, do the deed, hold your head up high and be proud.  Do that for 30 days and everyone will forget what you looked like with hair.  You'll love it, guaranteed, or your hair back..

Dave

Enter your email address: